Community court is a neighborhood- focused court that attempt to harness the power of the justice system to address local problems. Community court strives to engage outside stakeholders such as residents, merchants, churches, and schools in new ways in an effort to bolster public trust in justice and test new approaches to reduce both crime and incarceration.
Principles of Community Court
- Individualized justice
- Improve quality of life for participants and the community
- Promote fair, equitable and responsive policies
- Find family and community oriented solutions
- Expand employment and education opportunities
- Community and neighborhood improvement through sustainable environmental awareness and action